? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

21 November 2008

Love, Your Daughter...

Today is my dad's 63rd birthday! Hard to imagine my dad with gray hair and an older man's pot belly. When my dad passed away unexpectedly 11 years ago I remember in the midst of shock and deep grief how sure and certain I was to have been blessed to be his daughter. I knew even then that I would have rather had a shorter amount of time with him than a longer amount with an average father. He was such an adventurer: pilot, avid sailor, hiker, camper, he would spend entire days bicycling around the D.C. area, always exploring or tinkering. Growing up with him had no shortage of trying new things that enriched us all. What a gift to have had a father who did not feel limited in life, although he faced major health issues from his 20s onward. He was a humble, honest person known for his integrity. His quick laugh was often coupled with a crooked smile that I'm certain endeared him to all of his childhood teachers. My dad was the kind of father who took a day off of work, travelled hours, and helped clean the house my college roommates left me with at the end of a lease. The smell of a pipe, trumpet solos, peanuts, and all of the D.C. sports teams remind me of him. He was a California boy who grew up playing cowboys and grew into an investigator protecting the innocent for the U.S. Office of Special Counsel. As a Naval officer he settled on the east coast, but could never quench his thirst for "real" mountains and lakes. He had a gifted intellect and loved long conversations especially good debates. I remember when he passed wondering, "Now who's going to keep me informed?" My dad really challenged me in my thinking and understanding of my beliefs. He was a natural philosopher and seeker, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure exactly what he believed. However, our discussions are still a gift encouraging me to mature in my faith with not just my heart but also my head. I am thankful that the spiritual truth of a loving Creator or heavenly Father is not an unreasonable thought because of my dad's devotion and love for his girls. Now over a decade later I no longer feel my "loss echo inside of myself" which I shared at his memorial service. I can see clearly the amazing man he was and God's fingerprints all over our lives. He would have been such a fun granddad, but I know his legacy will stir the imaginations of our children in a special way. Certainly to honor my dad and thank the Lord for him on his birthday is a privilege I treasure.


"And yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, and you are the potter. We all are formed by your hand." Isaiah 64:8

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort." 2 Cor. 1:3

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristin, You are an amazing writer! I loved this one!!!!

Katie said...

Thanks for this post, Kristin. Your father sounds like an amazing man and I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye too soon.
Love to you!

Erin said...

So touching Kristin. What a neat tribute to your dad. He sounds like an amazing man and I'm sure he watches you from above and is so proud of you and your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and how true, Kristin! This expression means so much to me since I didn't get to be around your Dad much as an adult. I loved being able to see him through your eyes. Yes, he was an amazing Dad and has left an endearing legacy for your family !

I know your Dad "and my brother Kenny" that I grew up with, would be so proud of and pleased with you, Kristin, and your lovely family. I sure am!

Love you always!
Aunt Leni