? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

08 September 2010

Melanie

Last spring I met my 41 year old, elementary school counselor neighbor Melanie and her incredibly gorgeous 3 year old daughter at a playgroup.  A couple of weeks later Melanie discovered that she has Myleodysplastic Syndrome/pre-Leukemia.  A few days ago I found a flier with their photo in our postbox asking for help with finding a matching bone marrow donor.  Without any hesitation the flier states, "Melanie's continued state of wellness, actually her survival, depends upon her receiving a bone marrow transplant."  I have not been able to shake the gnawing thought of what if I were in her shoes?  What if she was my sister, my good friend, my mom... ?  

Tomorrow there will be a drive in Charlottesville to join the Bone Marrow Registry.  All it requires is a simple cheek swab and I could be the one to save a life.  To be completely transparent, I am not 100% certain I will be there.  If I knew it would be just for Melanie, I would be a lot less hesitant and selfishly so, because the likelihood of being a match and actually going through the donation process would be almost null.  But upon entering the registry you agree to donate to any patient in need.  The thought enters my mind again; what if it were my sister, my good friend, my mom.... ? 

Melanie and I ran into one another a few weeks ago in the library parking lot and I prayed with her.  So often the Lord allows people to be the answer to prayers.  How often have I felt so incredibly blessed and casually looked for ways to give a little.  I think I am being invited to put action to my words, to be actively engaged rather than usually passive, to be like the Savior who got His feet dirty for me.  Hard choice, because I know I don't have to -- but I get to.

JOIN THE BONE MARROW REGISTRY
  • Date:  Thursday, September 9th
  • Time:  5:00-7:00 pm
  • Location:  Courtyard North by Marriott Hotel (behind Toys R Us)
  • Phone:  866-301-4650 x7385

You can also have a swab kit sent to you directly. 
1-866-301-4650 x7385
http://www.bethematch.org/


"But look! A king will rule in the right way, and his leaders will carry out justice.

Each one will stand as a shelter from high winds,

provide safe cover in stormy weather.

Each will be cool running water in parched land,

a huge granite outcrop giving shade in the desert." 
-Is. 32 (MSG)

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Kristin, I love your blog! I am so glad I have started reading it.

I am sorry that your friend is going through all of this. The mother of one of my best friends growing up was diagnosed with a form of Leukemia a few years ago. When they were looking for possible donors, I joined the bone marrow registry. It certainly is a scary thing but it would be so awesome to be able to help save someone's life!! My friend's mom has since passed away, but I know that there are so many others out there that need help. I hope that your friend is able to find a donor and feel better!!

Jen H said...

Kristin...You have such a sweet spirit and I love the way that you always have compassion for people! God is working through you in a BIG way!!